If you are interested in this seminar, please contact Prof. Dr. Franz-Josef Behr, e-mail: franz-josef.behr [at] hft-stuttgart.de!
This workshop gives an introduction and overview over the application of the standards of the Open Geospatial Consortium.
Technological Foundation – an overview
- Introduction to Web-Technologies, Basic Principles of Web Services and the underlying standards, protocols and addressing principles.
The main standardization bodies, i.e. OGC, W3C, IETF, EPSG, are briefly introduced. Optional an overview about relevants tools, languages and software solutions is given.
- XML, XML-Namespaces, XML Schema
- UML-Class diagrams: An brief introduction
- Standardization: An overview
- OGC: Who, why, what, basic principles
- The process of Standardization
- Simple Feature for SQL (incl. CRS)
- Data format GML (optional an example of CityGML)
- optional plus an overview about other formats like GeoRSS, GeoJSON, KML
OGC Specifications: Basics
- How to read a standard: Types of OGC documents, structure of OGC documents
- Relationship between different standards
OGC Specifications in detail
Essential services are presented and practically explored by analyzing the different operations and the results from the server.
The connection between metadata, data models and presentation will be analysed. Modification of query parameters helps us to understand the REST-based approach of communication and the power of the service approach.
- OGC/ISO 19128 Web Map Service (WMS)
- Web Map Tile Service (WMTS)
- Web Map Context (WMC)
- Styled Layer Descriptor (SLD) and Symbology Encoding (SE)
- OGC/ISO 19142 Web Feature Service (WFS)
- Web Feature Service Transactional (WFS-T)
- OGC/ISO 19143 Filter Encoding 2.0
- Web Feature Service Gazetteer (WFS-G)
- Web Coverage Service (WCS)
An introduction into multidiemensional datasets (data cubes) is given. The different options of retrieving data are explored.
- Catalogue Service for the Web (CSW)
- Location Services (Open LS)
- Sensor Web Enablement (SWE)
- Web Processing Service (WPS)
- Web 3D Service (W3DS)
Outlook: Expected developments
- Towards REST and Semantic Web
- WFS 3.0